Have you ever heard that any child is having problems in reading and writing, while the kid is quite smart in other activities? If yes, it doesn’t mean he is dumb. He is facing a problem called dyslexia.
(People Also Like To Read: Testicular Cancer: Signs, Causes, Diagnosis, and Treatment)
What Is Dyslexia?
Dyslexia is the most common learning disability, which influences your ability to read, spell, write, and speak. Kids who have this disorder are often hardworking as well as smart, but they have a problem in connecting the letters they see to the corresponding sounds those letters make.
It is one of the most common learning problems, well, it is not clear about the percentage of kids who face it. Some believe that the percentage lies between 5 to 10 percent.
It is mainly a problem while reading fluently and accurately. Kids with the problem may have trouble answering questions about what they have read.
Dyslexia can create difficulty in some other skills as well, like:
- Reading comprehension
- Elijah Short
It is a common belief that dyslexia is a visual issue.
It is very important to understand that dyslexia impacts learning, it’s not an intelligence problem. Kids with this disorder are as smart as their peers. There are so many people who have struggled with the problem and have successful careers. It includes a long list of entrepreneurs, actors, and elected officials.
What are the Symptoms of Dyslexia?
Well, the signs and symptoms of dyslexia can be difficult to understand before the kid enters school, but there are some early indications which can indicate this problem. When your child reaches school, maybe her teacher is the first one to notice the problem. Well, the severity of the disease varies, but the condition often becomes clear as a child starts to read.
Signs that a pre-school kid may be at risk of dyslexia include:
- Late talking
- Learning new words slowly
- Problems forming words correctly, such as similar work
- Problems remembering or naming letters, colors, and numbers.
- Difficulty in playing rhyming games or learning nursery rhymes
Once the child starts going to school, the signs and symptoms of dyslexia become more clear, including:
- Reading is poor as the expected level for age
- Problems in understanding what he or she hears
- Difficulty in forming answers to questions or finding the right word.
- Problems in remembering the sequence of things
- Difficulty in seeing similar letters and words
- Inability to sound out the pronunciation of an unknown word
- Difficulty in spelling
- Spending a long time completing tasks that involve reading
- Avoiding activities that involve reading
Teens and Adults:
Dyslexia signs in adults are similar to those in children. Some common dyslexia signs and symptoms in teens and adults include:
- Difficulty in reading aloud
- Slow and labor-intensive reading as well as writing
- Problems in spelling
- Avoiding activities which involve reading
- Mispronouncing names or words
- Spending a long time in completing any tasks which involve reading or writing
- Difficulty in summarizing a story
- Trouble in learning a foreign language
- Difficulty in memorizing
- Difficulty in solving math problems
What are the Causes of Dyslexia?
Exact causes of dyslexia are not clear yet. But it is clear that genes and brain differences play a role. These are some of the possible causes of the disorder:
Genes and Heredity: It usually runs in families where around 40 percent of siblings of children with this disorder have the same reading issues. As many as 49 percents of parents of children with dyslexia have it, too.
Brain Anatomy and Activity: Imaging of the brain shown differences between people with and without dyslexia. These differences occur in areas of the brain involved with key reading skills. Those skills are knowing how sounds are represented in words and recognizing what written words look like.
(You Might Also Like To Read:19 Best Vegetables and Fruits For Type 2 Diabetes)
What are the Complications of Dyslexia?
Many kids have more than one learning issue. There are a number of issues that usually co-exist with it. The other complication of the disorder are:
Trouble Learning. Because reading is a basic skill to most other kids, a child with dyslexia is at a disadvantage in most classes and may have trouble keeping up with peers.
Social Problems. If dyslexia is left untreated then it can lead to low self-esteem, anxiety, behavior problems, aggression, and withdrawal from friends, parents, and teachers.
Problems as Adults. The inability to read can prevent a child from reaching his or her potential as the child grows up. It can be a long-term educational, social and economic consequences.
What is the Treatment of Dyslexia?
There’s no accurate way to treat the brain abnormality which causes the disorder, Well, it is a lifelong problem. However, early detection and determining specific needs and appropriate treatment can improve the condition.
Dyslexia can be treated by using specific educational techniques and approaches. Psychological testing will help your kid’s teachers to develop a suitable teaching method.
Teachers may use various techniques which involves hearing, vision, and touch to improve the kid’s reading skills. Helping a child in using several senses to learn.
Treatment focuses on helping your child:
- Learn to use and recognize the smallest sound that makes up words.
- Understanding the letters and strings of letters which represent sounds and words
- Understand what your kid is reading
- Read aloud to build reading accuracy, fluency, and speed.
- Build a vocabulary of recognized words.
Children with dyslexia who get extra help in kindergarten or first grade often improve their reading skills enough to succeed in later grades.
Children who don’t get help until their later grades may have more difficulty while learning the skills needed to read well. They’re likely to lag behind in their academics and can never be able to catch up.
How Can Help A Child With Dyslexia:
You are the one whose child is facing the problem, then you are the number-one source of support. From working with the school to working on their reading skills, you can help give your child the tools and motivation to succeed in school and in life.
Here are just some of the things you can do:
- Get tips for teaching your child to learn sight words.
- Explore ways to improve your child’s reading ability.
- Try to find ways to help your child connect letters to sounds in daily activities.
- Discover apps, software, and Chrome tools to help with reading.
- Look from where to find free audiobooks for your child.
- See what your child can say to self-advocate in grade school and middle school.
- Learn how to be a help for your child at school.
- Discover the strengths of your child’s.
Every child is unique, and everyone is having a different learning ability. But If you feel that your child is having some problem while reading or recognizing the letters then you should consult the doctor as soon as possible.
(People Also Like To Read: Thyroid Cancer in Women: A Combination of Genetic & Environmental Factors.)
GoMedii is All-in-One integrated Technology platform which helps to better manage chronic illnesses, prescription management & creates a continuum of care with a patient-centric approach under the supervision of Doctor & healthcare experts. The Technology platform enables various stakeholders (Patients, Doctor, Pharmacy, Diagnostics, Healthcare experts) to work as a unit for a better patient outcome with 1 stop solution of medicines, lab services, nutrition advice & products, Lifestyle coaching, and clinical counseling. GoMedii platform also enables the Doctor to overview a larger section of his patients.
Disclaimer: GoMedii is a recognized and a considerate healthcare platform which tends to connect every dot of the healthcare needs and facilities. GoMedii facilitates the accessibility of all health news, health tips, and information from the Health experts and Doctors to the eyes of readers. All of the information and facts mentioned in the GoMedii Blog are thoroughly examined and verified by the Doctors and Health Experts, elsewise source of information is confirmed for the same.
About GoMedii: GoMedii is a complete healthcare marketplace, where you can Book Appointment With Doctors, Get Online Consultation, Order Medicines Online, and Get hassle-free doorstep delivery within 4 hours. You may simply download the GoMedii app for Android or iOS.