Well, who don’t know about the increased gynecological problems nowadays. On an average about millions of female are suffering from some gynecological diseases or we can say that diseases related to uterus. Today, we will discuss one of the major process related to the uterus that is the HYSTERECTOMY PROCEDURE.
Moreover, in simple words, we can define hysterectomy a process of removal of a woman’s uterus through an operation.
(People Also Like To Read: Why Women Faces Abdominal Cramps During Pregnancy?)
What is Hysterectomy Procedure?
Hysterectomy procedure is the surgical process of removing the womb (uterus) due to different reasons such as uterine fibroids, uterine prolapse, uterus cancer, abnormal vaginal bleeding, endometriosis, and chronic pelvic pain.
Why Do a Woman Need Hysterectomy?
The process of hysterectomies is needed to treat those conditions that affect the reproductive system of a female such as
- Long-term pelvic pain
- Heavy periods
- Non-cancerous fibroids (tumors)
- Ovarian cancer, cervical cancer, uterine cancer, or the cancer of the fallopian tubes.
The process is a major operation that has a long recovery time.
How Can You Recover from Hysterectomy?
Well, as we know that a hysterectomy procedure is a long process so there is not a definitive time but it takes approximately six to eight weeks to fully recover. But the recover also depends upon the type of hysterectomy and the patient’s body.
There are some precautions that a woman should follow after the operation like do not lift any heavy item or shopping bags. Give time to your abdominal tissues and muscles to heal.
What are Types of Hysterectomy?
There are mainly 4 types of hysterectomy procedure including;
1. Total Hysterectomy: In this process, the womb and cervix are removed.
2. Subtotal Hysterectomy: In this process, the main body of the womb is removed, dropping the cervix in place.
3. Hysterectomy with Bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy: The process is for the removal of the womb, fallopian tubes, cervix, and ovaries.
4. Radical Hysterectomy – In this process, only the womb and its surrounding tissues are removed which include fallopian tubes, ovaries, some part of the vagina, lymph glands and fatty tissue.
(You Might Also Like To Read: How Can You Look Younger and Beautiful Without Surgery?)
What are the Risk Factors for Hysterectomy?
Following are some of the risk factors for this procedure including;
- Infections in some of the patients
- Anesthesia-related problems like rapid breathing
- Hair loss
- Injury to gastrointestinal and genitourinary tract
- Risks are higher in obese women or who phasing problems like diabetes or high blood pressure.
- Nerve injury
What are the Side Effects of Hysterectomy?
Following are a few of the side effects that might patients co-relate with this procedure including;
- Hot flashes
- Occasional spotting or pink discharge for up to about 6 weeks.
- Joint pain
- Early menopause, if the ovaries are removed.
- A weakness of the pelvic ligaments and muscles that support the bladder, rectum, and vagina.
- Hair loss
- A headache
What is the Procedure of Hysterectomy?
There are some guidelines regarding the pre- and post- hysterectomy procedure including;
Overall physical examination
- Blood and urine tests
- Pelvic exam
- Discussion on complete medical history with a surgeon before surgery
- Quit smoking
- Quit alcohol
- Avoid drinking and eating before 12 hours prior to the operation
- Some prescribed medicines advised by the doctor prior to the surgery, to reduce the risk of heavy bleeding during the operation.
- The patient should stay in the hospital for at least 3 to 5 days.
- After the surgery, the doctor will advise you to avoid heavy weights lifting for at least 5 to 6 weeks.
- Avoid tub baths for 6 weeks after the operation.
- Try to take a liquid diet temporarily for some days after the surgery.
- Use sanitary napkins if vaginal bleeding occurs after the procedure and last for a few weeks.
- Taking fruits, vegetables, and drinking extra fluids may help you avoid constipation after surgery.
What is Hysterectomy Surgery?
There are mainly 4 types of surgery including;
1. Abdominal Hysterectomy – In this process, the doctor will cut in the belly to remove the uterus.
2. Laparoscopic Hysterectomy – In this process, the Doctors will insert a tiny camera and medical tools through small openings in the belly in an effort to removes the uterus through the vagina.
3. Robotic Hysterectomy – In this process, the tools that are used for the surgery are being attached to a robot that the doctor controls. The other name of this process is “robot-assisted laparoscopy.”
4. Vaginal Hysterectomy – In this process, the doctor makes cuts inside the vagina and removes the uterus directly through the vagina.
The above written all the information are about the overall guide for the hysterectomy procedure. This is the normal surgical procedure for removing the uterus. If a woman follows all the guidelines of pre- and post- process then it will be easy for her to recover fast.
(People Also Like To Read: Interstitial Cystitis: Symptoms, Causes, Risk Factors, and Treatment)
GoMedii is All-in-One integrated Technology platform which helps to better manage chronic illnesses, prescription management & creates a continuum of care with a patient-centric approach under the supervision of Doctor & healthcare experts. The Technology platform enables various stakeholders (Patients, Doctor, Pharmacy, Diagnostics, Healthcare experts) to work as a unit for a better patient outcome with 1 stop solution of medicines, lab services, nutrition advice & products, Lifestyle coaching, and clinical counseling. GoMedii platform also enables the Doctor to overview a larger section of his patients.
Disclaimer: GoMedii is a recognized and a considerate healthcare platform which tends to connect every dot of the healthcare needs and facilities. GoMedii facilitates the accessibility of all health news, health tips, and information from the Health experts and Doctors to the eyes of readers. All of the information and facts mentioned in the GoMedii Blog are thoroughly examined and verified by the Doctors and Health Experts, elsewise source of information is confirmed for the same.
About GoMedii: GoMedii is a complete healthcare marketplace, where you can Book Appointment With Doctors, Get Online Consultation, Order Medicines Online, and Get hassle-free doorstep delivery within 4 hours. You may simply download the GoMedii app for Android or iOS.