As a parent how many times do you wish you could go back and change a situation to avoid an accident involving your child? The great news is that with a little foresight most childhood injuries and accidents can be avoided.
Itâ€™s not possible or even not a good idea to protect your child from all the bruises, bumps, scrapes and falls of childhood. These are just part of growing up for a curious and an active child.
(People Also Like to Read:Â Diabetes In Family? Inactive Lifestyle Can Be Very Dangerous: Study)
But with some useful and practical steps or planning can be helpful in avoiding these incidents just like a kiss, cuddle or band-aid will fix, rather than one of the many serious accidents that happen each year.
Unintentional childhood injuries are the biggest cause of death and disability in children under 10-15 years. Most of these injuries can be prevented.
Top Causes of Childhood Injuries:
There are several causes of childhood injuries but the topmost causes are as follow;
- Motor vehicle accident
- Choking, suffocation, and strangulation
- Burns and scalds
1. Motor Vehicle Accidents
Almost 150 children experience emergency room care for injuries sustained from motor vehicle accidents every hour. Traffic accidents are one of the leading cause of death in children ages 5 to 19.
Car seat safety guidelines;
- Rear-facing seats
- Forward-facing seats
- Booster seats
Drowning is the leading cause of fatal injury in children ages 1 to 5. Approximately every day, three children die from drowning.
Safety tips for drowning;
- You should never leave your child near water.
- You should not trust a childâ€™s safety to another child.
- You should teach your child to ask permission before entering the water.
- Sign up your child for swimming lessons to learn the basics of swimming including floating and moving through water.
- If you have a pool at home, you should install a four-sided fence with self-latching and self-closing gates to keep children from accidentally wandering in unsupervised.
( You Might Also Read:Â Dengue, Chikungunya Warning: Diseases May Hit Delhi Earlier This Year)
Infants are more likely to suffocate while they are sleeping. Choking on food or other small objects can also be the cause of suffocation in toddlers.
Safety tips for suffocation;
- Place infants on their backs on a firm surface every time they sleep
- You should make sure your child sleeps in a crib or bassinet.
- Before your child sleep, you should clean the sleeping environment of blankets, toys, loose bedding, stuffed animals, and mobiles.
More than 300 children age 19 or less receive emergency room care for poisoning each day. The causes of this poisoning are household chemicals, medicines, and cleaners are the most common sources among children.
Safety tips for poisoning;
- Keep toxic medicines and products you can lock away and/or out of your childrenâ€™s reach.
- Read labels and follow directions before giving medicine to children.
- If medicine is unused or expired you should safely dispose of it.
Every day, about 300 children go to the emergency room for burn-related injuries. The most common reason for burns including hot liquids or steam. Flame burns in children caused by direct contact with fire
Prevention tips for burns;
- You can install smoke alarms in your home.
- You can also develop and practice a home fire escape plan with your family.
- You can assist your children in the kitchen with the use of stoves, microwaves, and ovens.
- Always check your water heater is at 120 degrees Fahrenheit or lower.
Falls are the topmost cause of non-fatal injuries for all children under age 15. Approximately about 8,000 children receive emergency room care for injuries caused by a fall each day.
Prevention tips for falls;
- You can keep an eye on your child as they play on the playground; make sure playground equipment is safe, shock-absorbent, and sturdy.
- Your child should wear appropriate safety gear like helmet and padding when playing sports.
- You can prevent injury in the house by using home safety devices such as window guards, guardrails, and stair gates.
Childhood injuries are common but sometimes they can be very dangerous for children. Simple prevention can prevent your child from these injuries.
( People Also Like To Read:Â Crystal Healing: Is it Possible that Crystals Can Heal You?)
Disclaimer: GoMedii is a recognized and a considerate healthcare platform which tends to connect every dot of the healthcare needs and facilities. GoMedii facilitates the accessibility of all health news, health tips, and information from the Health experts and Doctors to the eyes of readers. All of the information and facts mentioned in the GoMedii Blog are thoroughly examined and verified by the Doctors and Health Experts, elsewise source of information is confirmed for the same.
About GoMedii: GoMedii is a complete healthcare marketplace, where you can Book Appointment With Doctors, Get Online Consultation, Order Medicines Online, and Get hassle-free doorstep delivery within 4 hours. You may simply download the GoMedii app for Android or iOS.