You will find supplements for everything and anything these days. Even when you do not suffer from an illness, supplements are suggested to keep you healthy and disease-free. So when you are a diabetic, especially if you have type-2 diabetes and prediabetes, you may find yourself facing a large number of options for diabetes supplements or medicines that claim to reduce, support and cure your diabetes.
You Might Also Read: Measles Immunization Day 2018
Diabetes is quite a frustrating disease and you may find yourself irritated to try out these diabetes supplements or medicines one after another. But is it really safe to take these medicines and supplements when you are a diabetic?
Let us find out. But before taking any supplements, you need to understand what exactly these supplements are.
You may also like to read: Diabetes In Family? Inactive Lifestyle Can Be Very Dangerous: Study
Should I Take Supplements?
From magnesium and cinnamon to herbal formulas claiming to cut down high blood sugar, “diabetes-friendly” supplements are raising up in drugstores, health food stores and also in the medicine cabinets of more and more people with diabetes.
According to a study, there is approximately more than 50 percent of people with diabetes that use dietary supplements as well as some of them use herbal remedies too. (Source: Reader’s Digest)
What are the Supplements for Diabetic Patients?
There are several types of supplements present in the market that can be taken by a diabetic patient including;
You Might Also Read: Are Herbal Medicines/Drugs Good For You?
1. Vitamin D:
- A daily supplement of vitamin D is recommended to diabetic patients because the vitamin helps in cutting down the risk of developing diabetes.
- Its other benefits include low vitamin D has been associated with the poor control in early research of diabetes.
- The good fats found in fish like salmon, trout, and herring are healthy and important for people with diabetes who are at high risk of heart disease.
- Omega-3s helps in reducing inflammation, off-rhythm heartbeats, and discourage artery clogging.
- It also states that people with diabetes who use fish oil supplements have lower levels of triglycerides.
- Magnesium mainly provides blood sugar benefits to people with diabetes because its low levels may affect the ability to use insulin.
- But too much magnesium can be harmful because excess magnesium may cause an irregular heartbeat and low blood pressure.
4. B-Complex Vitamins:
The vitamins B6 and B12 support nerve health like they help in addressing conditions such as diabetic neuropathy.
- Chromium is a trace mineral which helps in improving the function of insulin as well as helps in glucose circulation and other nutrients into the body cells.
- The mineral doesn’t prompt the body to make more insulin, it only helps insulin work better.
People are also reading: Know About the Types of Diabetes
What are the Medicines for Diabetic Patients?
There are several medicines for diabetes from good brands such as Insulin, Amylinomimetic drug, Alpha-glucosidase inhibitors, and DPP-4 inhibitors.
So, I conclude that taking diabetes supplements and medicines are good for diabetic patients they are also helpful and really work, but one should only take these medicines and supplements under the doctor’s guidance.
People Also Like To Read: How to Safely Buy Medicines Online?
Disclaimer: GoMedii is a recognized and a considerate healthcare platform which tends to connect every dot of the healthcare needs and facilities. GoMedii facilitates the accessibility of all health news, health tips, and information from the Health experts and Doctors to the eyes of readers. All of the information and facts mentioned in the GoMedii Blog are thoroughly examined and verified by the Doctors and Health Experts, elsewise source of information is confirmed for the same.
About GoMedii: GoMedii is a complete healthcare marketplace, where you can Book Appointment With Doctors, Get Online Consultation, Order Medicines Online, and Get hassle-free doorstep delivery within 4 hours. You may simply download the GoMedii app for Android or iOS.