The World Pneumonia Day 2018 is celebrated every year on 12th of November in an effort to raise awareness regarding pneumonia. The World Pneumonia Day was initially established in 2009. Pneumonia is a public health issue and there is the need to prevent the millions of avoidable child deaths from pneumonia that occur every year across the world. The day is organized by the Global Coalition against Child Pneumonia with the help of government, community-based organizations, non-governmental, research and academic institutions, foundations, and individuals to bring much-needed attention towards pneumonia among donors, health care professionals, policymakers, and the general public.
(People Also Like To Read: Top 14 Tips For Childcare in Monsoon/Rainy Season)
What are the Goals of the World Pneumonia Day 2018?
Following are some of the goals for World Pneumonia Day 2018 including;
- Raise awareness about pneumonia (an infectious killer of children under the age of 5).
- Promote technic to protect against, treat, and prevent pneumonia as well as highlight approaches and solutions for additional resources and attention.
- Generate action such as investment, to fight against pneumonia and other common childhood diseases.
- Pneumonia is one of the leading causes of deaths in children under the age of 5 despite being easily treatable and preventable. Some vaccines and other preventative efforts are decreasing the burden of the disease. Those people who are living in poor communities are at the highest risk of pneumonia.
- Every child, regardless of where they are born, deserves access to lifesaving medicines and vaccines.
What is Pneumonia?
Pneumonia is defined as the infection of the lungs with a range of potential causes. It can be a serious and life-threatening disease for children under the age 5. The disease normally starts with a viral, bacterial, or fungal infection.
In this disease, the lungs become inflamed, and the tiny air sacs (alveoli) inside the lungs fill up with fluid.
Pneumonia can occur in young and healthy people too, but it is most dangerous for infants, older adults, people with other diseases, as well as for those with impaired immune systems.
(You Might Also Like To Read: World Obesity Day 2018 )
What are the Symptoms of Pneumonia?
Following are some of the symptoms of pneumonia including;
- Rusty or green phlegm
- Fast breathing and shortness of breath
- Shaking chills
- Fast heartbeat
- Confusion or delirium
How are the Prevention of Pneumonia?
Some basic prevention of pneumonia are;
- Make sure that your child gets vaccinated (vaccines depends upon the age of the child).
- Always try to practice good hygiene
- Quit smoking as it damages your lungs’ natural defenses against these respiratory infections.
- Keep your immune system strong.
(People Also Like To Read: Top 4 Effective Ways To Keep Kids Safe Online)
Disclaimer: GoMedii is a recognized and a considerate healthcare platform which tends to connect every dot of the healthcare needs and facilities. GoMedii facilitates the accessibility of all health news, health tips, and information from the Health experts and Doctors to the eyes of readers. All of the information and facts mentioned in the GoMedii Blog are thoroughly examined and verified by the Doctors and Health Experts, elsewise source of information is confirmed for the same.