The World Arthritis Day is celebrated every year on 12th of October. This day aims to draw attention to arthritis, a disease that affects millions of people around the world. Arthritis is an inflammatory disease that causes joint pain and stiffness that can worsen with age. The condition is such that it can affect the daily functioning of people. On this, World Arthritis Day, people should be made aware of arthritis and its impact on the lives of people with arthritis.
(People Also Like To Read: Symptoms of Arthritis)
This day was initially organized by the World Arthritis Foundation in an effort to raise awareness of arthritis and encourage decision-makers to reduce the burden of arthritis. The theme of the World Arthritis Day 2018 is “It’s in your hands, handle.”
Well, there are several types of arthritis include gout arthritis, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and lupus arthritis. Diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis cannot be cured. They can only be treated to make them less intense and to prevent them from interrupting their daily activities.
What are the Symptoms of Arthritis?
There are several symptoms of arthritis including;
- Synovial effusion
- Pain (acute to chronic)
- Intra-articular bleeding
Exercise, losing weight, and maintaining a healthy weight are one of the most effective ways to control arthritis and your health problems. In addition to these, the usual treatments for arthritis include medications that help in relieving the pain.
Physical therapy is often considered as much effective in reducing the pain of arthritis. However, this depends on the disease and how the patient performs physical therapy. Exercise is also considered an effective treatment for arthritis. Moving the joints helps in relieving inflammation and long-term pain.
Diseases like arthritis are common in the old people. It is more common in people over 60-65 years old. However, some people have the disease before this age. About 30% of arthritis patients are under this age and some of them are adolescents.
In addition to exercising and maintaining a healthy weight, some foods can also help in reducing joint pain and inflammation.
(You Might Also Like To Read: New 3D Imaging Analysis Technique to Improve Arthritis Treatment)
Following are some of the food examples that are good arthritis including;
1. Broccoli, cabbage and brussels sprouts: Sulforaphane in these cruciferous vegetables helps to reduce articular cartilage damage caused by osteoarthritis.
2. Turmeric: Turmeric has gained immense popularity for its action in the fight against inflammation. Curcumin with turmeric can help in the treatment of arthritis and inflammatory joint diseases that are chronic in nature.
3. Garlic: Garlic is one of the most effective food that can help in reducing inflammation. In addition, garlic contains diallyl disulfide, a compound that can reduce harmful cartilage enzymes in the body.
4. Oily fish: Oily fish such as mackerel, salmon, tuna and trout are rich in omega-3 fatty acids that help relieve inflammation. Fish consumption several times a week can be helpful for people with arthritis.
5. Vitamin C: Patients with arthritis can benefit by increasing their vitamin C intake Antioxidants in Vitamin C can slow the progression of osteoarthritis. The food sources of vitamin C are pineapple, kiwi, oranges, and strawberries, just to name a few.
On this World Arthritis Day, the idea is to help all people with the disease. Try to educate more and more people about how people with arthritis can manage their disease and prevent it from getting worse.
(People Also Like To Read: Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder: Obsessions, Compulsions, Symptoms, and Treatment)GoMedii is a complete healthcare marketplace, where you can Book Appointment With Doctors, Get Online Consultation, Order Medicines Online, and Get hassle-free doorstep delivery within 4 hours. You may simply download the GoMedii app for Android or iOS.