The National Capital, Delhi, is currently battling the surge in swine flu, there are 1,011 cases of H1N1 virus reported from various hospitals of Delhi since January 1 this year. Well, the data released by the government on Monday does not report any deaths due to swine flu, some other city hospitals claim that at least 11 persons had suffered to the infection last month.
(People Also Like To Read: 10 Super Amazing Tips: How to Do Hair Care in Winter)
The Delhi’s Directorate General of Health Services has issued a health advisory, which states that Seasonal Influenza (H1N1) is an air-borne viral, self-limiting, and the disease spreads from person to person through sneezing and cough, indirect contact by touching a contaminated surface or object, and close contact including hugging, handshakes, and kissing.
Rajasthan had 2,375 cases of swine flu and 221 deaths last year, has seen 2,263 cases and 85 deaths since January 1. Officially, Delhi has had no swine flu death but hospitals have reported some death so far.
What is Swine Flu?
Swine flu, it is also known as the H1N1 virus, it is a relatively new type of influenza virus that causes similar symptoms to the regular flu. It originated in pigs but is spread from person to person. Swine flu first comes in headlines in 2009 when it was first discovered in humans and became a pandemic.
What are the Symptoms of the Swine Flu?
H1N1 causes respiratory illness and is very contagious. The symptoms of H1N1 are similar to the seasonal flu and may include:
- Body aches
- Loss of appetite
- A cough
- A sore throat
- A runny nose
- Irritated eyes
- Vomiting, nausea, and diarrhea
What are the Causes of Swine Flu?
H1N1 viruses infect the cells that line your throat, nose, and lungs. The virus enters your body when you inhale something which is contaminated and transfer the live virus from a surface to your nose, eyes, or mouth.
You can’t catch swine flu by eating pork.
(You Might Also Like To Read: 20 Amazing Tricks: How to Feel Instant Calmer)
What are the Complications of Swine Flu?
H1N1 virus complications include:
- Worsening of chronic conditions, like heart disease and asthma
- Neurological symptoms, ranging from confusion to seizures
- Respiratory failure
How can you Prevent Swine Flu?
The vaccine is available as a nasal spray or an injection. The nasal spray is approved for use in healthy people of 2 to 49 years of age or who are not pregnant. It is not recommended for some groups, such as children between 2 and 4 years old with asthma or wheezing, pregnant women, and people who have compromised immune systems. You can get these vaccines from a physician Amit Sachdeva.
These are some other measures also help prevent flu and limit its spread:
- Stay at home if you’re sick and if you have the flu, you can spread it to others. Stay home for at least one day after your fever has gone.
- Wash your hands frequently and thoroughly. Use soap and water to wash your hand and if it is unavailable, then use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Cover your nose and mouth when you cough or sneeze. Start wearing a face mask if you have one. To avoid contaminating your hands, cough or sneeze into the inner crook of your elbow or a tissue.
- Avoid contact. Stay away from crowded places, if you’re at high risk of complications from the flu — for example, you’re younger than 5 or you’re 65 or older, you’re pregnant, or you have a chronic medical condition such as asthma.
(People Also Like To Read: How to Boost Your Immune System?)
Disclaimer: GoMedii is a recognized and a considerate healthcare platform which tends to connect every dot of the healthcare needs and facilities. GoMedii facilitates the accessibility of all health news, health tips, and information from the Health experts and Doctors to the eyes of readers. All of the information and facts mentioned in the GoMedii Blog are thoroughly examined and verified by the Doctors and Health Experts, elsewise source of information is confirmed for the same.
About GoMedii: GoMedii is a complete healthcare marketplace, where you can Book Appointment With Doctors, Get Online Consultation, Order Medicines Online, and Get hassle-free doorstep delivery within 4 hours. You may simply download the GoMedii app for Android or iOS.