Measles is a serious and highly infective disease which occurs due to the virus of the paramyxovirus family. Measles Immunization Day is declared on the 16th of March to raise awareness regarding the availability of vaccines to fight against the virus. Before the measles vaccine, around 2.6 million deaths were reported every year because of this disease.
(People Also Like To Read: World Sleep Day 2019: Healthy Sleep, Healthy Aging)
About Measles Immunization Day
Measles Immunization Day is celebrated on March 16 every year to increase recognization about the availability of the measles vaccine. Everyone needs to get vaccinated to protect themselves from the highly contagious measles virus.
Measles is a highly contagious disease as it can be passed on through nose droplets or direct contact. The virus infects the respiratory tract, then later spreads to the whole body. For the immunization, you should consult a doctor.
Who Should Get Measles Vaccine?
- According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), all children should get two doses of Measles vaccine (MMR).
- The age for the first dose is supposed to be 12 -15 months and the second dose is supposed to be 4- 6 years after the birth.
- Children can get the second dose earlier any time after 28 days followed by the first dose.
- The MMRV vaccine is also an option for measles which protects against measles, mumps, rubella, and varicella which is also known as chickenpox. This vaccine is used explicitly for children who are of the age of 1 year -12 years.
- Adults who have less immunity should get one dose of MMR vaccine.
High School Students
- Kids who are not found to have immunity against the virus, need to get two doses of MMR vaccine, separated by at least 28 days.
- Babies of the age 6 months and older who tend to travel internationally, need to be protected against measles.
- Infants between the age of 6 to 11 months of age should receive at least one dose of MMR vaccine.
- Children older than 12 months should get two doses of the vaccine by the gap of at least 28 days.
(You Might Also Like To Read: World Kidney Day 2019: 5 Precious Rules to Keep Kidneys Healthy)
How Effective is the MMR Vaccine?
- The MMR vaccine is very effective to protect measles, mumps, and rubella virus and also prevents the other complications which lead due to these diseases.
- Individuals who get complete two doses of MMR vaccine at their childhood are considered protected for life.
- The two doses of MMR vaccine are considered to protect 97% against measles, 88% against mumps and only one dose is 97% protective against rubella.
Who Should Not Get Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR) vaccine?
- People who are allergic to the component of the MMR vaccine.
Fast Facts about Measles Immunization Day:
- However, there is a cost-effective and safe vaccine available for measles, still, this is one of the leading causes of deaths among children.
- In 2016, there were around 89,780 deaths due to measles.
- Increased use of Measles vaccination drive resulted in an 84% drop in measles deaths between 2000 and 2016.
- In 2016, about 85 percent of the global children received one dose of measles vaccine by their first birthday.
(People Also Like To Read: No Smoking Day 2019 : Quit Smoking)
GoMedii is All-in-One integrated Technology platform which helps to better manage chronic illnesses, prescription management & creates a continuum of care with a patient-centric approach under the supervision of Doctor & healthcare experts. The Technology platform enables various stakeholders (Patients, Doctor, Pharmacy, Diagnostics, Healthcare experts) to work as a unit for a better patient outcome with 1 stop solution of medicines, lab services, nutrition advice & products, Lifestyle coaching, and clinical counseling. GoMedii platform also enables the Doctor to overview a larger section of his patients.
Disclaimer: GoMedii is a recognized and a considerate healthcare platform which tends to connect every dot of the healthcare needs and facilities. GoMedii facilitates the accessibility of all health news, health tips, and information from the Health experts and Doctors to the eyes of readers. All of the information and facts mentioned in the GoMedii Blog are thoroughly examined and verified by the Doctors and Health Experts, elsewise source of information is confirmed for the same.
About GoMedii: GoMedii is a complete healthcare marketplace, where you can Book Appointment With Doctors, Get Online Consultation, Order Medicines Online, and Get hassle-free doorstep delivery within 4 hours. You may simply download the GoMedii app for Android or iOS.