Do you know about a sore throat, What it is and how it feels like? A sore throat is a pain, scratchiness or irritation of the throat. Well, it is a very common health issue during the months of winters. As such, there is no need to worry about it, and it gets a cure within a week on their own.
( People May Like to Read This: Hysteroscopy: A Process of Diagnosing Abnormal Bleeding Inside Uterus )
A sore throat is a scratchiness, painful or dryness feeling in the throat that gets more than worse when we swallow. Most sore throats are caused by viral infection, such as the flu or cold, or by external environmental factors like dry air.
What are the Symptoms Of Sore Throat?
Symptoms of a sore throat may vary and depend on what cause. The Symptoms of a sore throat can feel like:
- Painful or a scratchiness on the throat
- Pain that worsens with swallowing or talking
- A muffled or hoarse voice
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Sore, swollen glands in your neck or jaw
- Red or swollen tonsils
- White patches or pus on your tonsils
You can feel some other symptoms along with a sore throat, like:
- Nasal congestion
- Trouble swallowing
- A cough
- A runny nose
- Swollen glands in the neck
- Body Aches
- A headache
- Appetite loss
What are the Causes of a Sore Throat?
Viruses that cause the common flu and cold is the most common cause of sore throats. Well, There are some other causes of a sore throat as well.
1. Viral Infections
Viral infection is the cause of around 90 percent of sore throats Among all the viruses that cause sore throats are:
- Common cold
- Mononucleosis (an infectious disease that’s transmitted through saliva)
2. Bacterial Infections
Bacterial infections may also source to sore throats. Strep throat is a common bacterial infection cause around 40 percent of sore throat cases in children. Tonsillitis and sexually transmitted infections like chlamydia and gonorrhea can also cause a sore throat.
( You Might Like To Read This: Slipped Disk: Symptoms, Causes, Prevention, and Treatment )
3. Dry Air
Dry indoor air may vanish moisture from the mouth and throat, and leave them feeling dry and scratchy. Especially when you are using heater all-around.
4. Smoke, Chemicals, and Other Irritants
Other air pollutants can cause throat irritation. like tobacco, smoke or chemicals can cause a chronic sore throat. Chewing tobacco, drinking alcohol and eating spicy foods also can irritate your throat.
Any injury, like cut to the neck, can cause pain in the throat. Stuck some piece of food in your throat can also lead to irritation.
6. Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
GRED is a decrease in which acid comes back to the mouth from the stomach with the tube that carries food. It causes heartburn and acid reflux.
When a sore throat is due to cancer or tumor, it continues even after weeks. A tumor or cancer of the throat, voice box, or tongue is a less common cause of a sore throat.
What are the Preventions of Sore Throat?
The best way to prevent sore throats is to maintain hygiene, avoid the germs that cause infection. Try these tips to prevent yourself with germs:
- Try to avoid closeness with sick people.
- Wash your hands frequently and thoroughly, especially before eating, after sneezing or coughing, and after using the toilet.
- If soap and water are not available then you should use alcohol-based hand sanitizers as an alternative to washing your hand.
- Avoid sharing drinking glasses or utensils and food.
- Use tissue while Cough or sneezing and throw it away. If not, then sneeze into your elbow.
- Try to avoid touching public phones with your mouth.
- Regularly clean your gadgets like telephones, TV remotes and computer keyboards with sensitizer cleanser.
What Foods and Drinks You Should have During a Sore Throat?
Foods which is soft and easy to swallow are good to eat if you have a sore throat. Warm foods and beverages can also help you to soothe your throat.
- Warm, cooked pasta, including cheese
- Mild Hot oatmeal, cooked cereal
- Gelatin desserts
- Yogurts with pureed fruits
- Fruit smoothies
- Mashed potatoes
- Cream-based soups
- Warm Milk
- Nonacidic juices
- Scrambled or boiled eggs
What Food or Drinks you Should Avoid If You Have a Sore Throat?
- Crusty bread
- Spicy seasonings and sauces
- Dry snack foods
- Raw vegetables
- Acidic fruits, like oranges, lemons, lime, tomatoes, and grapefruits
When You Should Go to Doctor?
Sore throats generally caused by a viral infection and get better on their own within a week. Yet some symptoms are present you need to go to the doctor like:
- Trouble swallowing
- A severe sore throat
- Difficulty opening your mouth
- Trouble breathing, or pain when you breathe
- Fever higher than 101 degrees Fahrenheit
- Sore Joints
- Blood in your saliva or phlegm
- Painful or stiff neck
- A sore throat that lasts for more than a week
So, here we discussed in detail about a sore throat. now, in the end, there are some key tips which help you if you are feeling the same. Ample rest, saltwater gargles, warm liquids, and some pain medicines can help to relieve the pain of a sore throat.
(People Also Like To Read: How to Cure Your Child in Winter Season From Pneumonia?)
GoMedii is All-in-One integrated Technology platform which helps to better manage chronic illnesses, prescription management & creates a continuum of care with a patient-centric approach under the supervision of Doctor & healthcare experts. The Technology platform enables various stakeholders (Patients, Doctor, Pharmacy, Diagnostics, Healthcare experts) to work as a unit for a better patient outcome with 1 stop solution of medicines, lab services, nutrition advice & products, Lifestyle coaching, and clinical counseling. GoMedii platform also enables the Doctor to overview a larger section of his patients.
Disclaimer: GoMedii is a recognized and a considerate healthcare platform which tends to connect every dot of the healthcare needs and facilities. GoMedii facilitates the accessibility of all health news, health tips, and information from the Health experts and Doctors to the eyes of readers. All of the information and facts mentioned in the GoMedii Blog are thoroughly examined and verified by the Doctors and Health Experts, elsewise source of information is confirmed for the same.
About GoMedii: GoMedii is a complete healthcare marketplace, where you can Book Appointment With Doctors, Get Online Consultation, Order Medicines Online, and Get hassle-free doorstep delivery within 4 hours. You may simply download the GoMedii app for Android or iOS.