In India, dust keeps on accumulating in our homes. Dust contains various substances that may cause asthma symptoms, such as wheezing,¬ coughing or other¬ allergic reactions. For people with dust allergy or vulnerable groups like children and the elderly, the accumulating dust can be the source of several breath-related ailments. People Also Read:¬ How To Get Rid of Chest Congestion?
Whether it is the pollen in spring or the dust around the house in winter, each season brings along its set of allergy triggers. And, with every change of season, we all are greeted by uncontrollable coughing and sneezing. So, what can we do to tackle this problem? There are some amazing remedies that can help us in treating dust allergy naturally.
There are several signs and symptoms of dust allergies including;
- A runny nose
- Coughing and wheezing
- Itchy and red eyes
- Shortness of breath
- Tightness in the chest
Following are some precautions to reduce exposure to dust mites in your home:
1. Maintaining A Clean Bedroom
- Cover pillows & mattresses with zippered dust-proof covers to protect them from unwanted dust mites. Prefer pillows filled with polyester fibers instead of kapok or feathers.
- Wash bed sheets and blankets at least once a week in very hot water (over 130 F) and then dry them in a hot dryer.
- Avoid carpet, upholstered furniture, and heavy drapes that collect dust. Avoid furniture covered with fabrics. Use furniture made of wood, plastic, leather, metal or vinyl that you can wipe clean.
- Keep pets out of the allergic person‚Äôs bedroom at all times. People Also Like:¬ Healthy Habits to Improve Your Life
2. Maintaining A Clean House
- Clean bare floors regularly with a damp mop or cloth.
- Vacuum carpets twice a week. Use a vacuum cleaner with HEPA (high-efficiency particulate air) filter.
- Consider wet-vacuum cleaning when possible. Also, consider steam-cleaning carpets at regular intervals.
- Get rid of “dust accumulators” like stuffed toys, wall hangings, books, knickknacks and artificial flowers etc.
3. Controlling Dust Mites
- Use an air-conditioner or dehumidifier and maintain humidity in your home below 55%.
- Install a HEPA filter¬ in your heating and air-conditioning unit. Change it at regular intervals of three months.
- Get your heating and air-conditioning units serviced every six months.
- Use chemicals on carpets and furniture that kill dust mites.
Remember, in most areas of the world, dust lives in every home, no matter how clean it is. But, you can reduce it to a great extent by following the aforementioned precautions. [People Also Like:¬ How To Get Rid of Chest Congestion?]
Disclaimer: GoMedii is a recognized and a considerate healthcare platform which tends to connect every dot of the healthcare needs and facilities. GoMedii facilitates the accessibility of all health news, health tips, and information from the Health experts and Doctors to the eyes of readers. All of the information and facts mentioned in the GoMedii Blog are thoroughly examined and verified by the Doctors and Health Experts, elsewise source of information is confirmed for the same.
About GoMedii: GoMedii is a complete healthcare marketplace, where you can Book Appointment With Doctors, Get Online Consultation, Order Medicines Online, and Get hassle-free doorstep delivery within 4 hours. You may simply download the GoMedii app for Android or iOS.