Chest congestion is a non-medical term which is used to describe respiratory symptoms like excessive mucus in lower airway, or in the larynx, trachea, bronchi and even in the lungs. Congestion is associated with inflammation of the airways and lungs by restricting airflow and related respiratory symptoms like coughing. In certain conditions like inflammatory diseases such as lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, results in mucus production, which may increase the risk of chest congestion.
[People Also Like: What is Respiratory Syncytial Virus?]
Sign and Symptoms of Chest Congestion:
Chest congestion is marked by excessive mucus usually by a productive cough or wet cough and difficulty breathing (dyspnea). There are several symptoms including;
- Rapid breathing rate (tachypnea)
- Mouth breathing
- Chest pain or discomfort
Other symptoms of chest congestion, such as fever, nausea, vomiting, headaches and so on may be related to the underlying cause of chest congestion.
People Also Read: Symptoms of Work-Related Stress
Home remedies or ways to clear chest congestion:
- The best way to clear up chest congestion is to gargle with a mixture of lukewarm water, a tablespoon of salt, and a pinch of turmeric twice a day.
- Try taking a hot shower or placing a hot pack on chest and throat for 15 minutes and drinking lots of water for staying hydrated.
- Taking hot liquids like tea that helps in dissolving the mucus that causes chest congestion, tea offers herbs and spices that can ease chest pain and congestion.
- Avoiding dairy products, salt, sugar, and fried foods because of these increases mucus production.
- Eating beneficial foods like citrus fruits like asparagus and pineapple, ginger, and garlic for easy chest congestion relief.
- Taking garlic and lime soup, which can help to clear congestion.
Medicinal ways to reduce chest congestion:
- Use of expectorants, these are the medications that break mucus and make it easier to cough up and expel from the body.
- Avoid the using suppressants, these are used to minimize coughing, if coughing is making a person uncomfortable, then try taking ginger cough drops instead of a suppressant.
- Treating congestion with mentholated cream.
- Using Zicam.
- Visiting doctor to get a prescription medication.
Chest congestion has several signs, along with normal cold symptoms. The person’s voice may seem different than normal, and usually coughs up mucus or may have breathing problems. It is associated with inflammation of the airways and lungs by restricting airflow and related respiratory symptoms like coughing.
[People Also Like: Precautions At Home If You Have Dust Allergy]
GoMedii is a complete healthcare marketplace, where you can Book Appointment With Doctors, Get Online Consultation, Order Medicines Online, and Get hassle-free doorstep delivery within 4 hours. You may simply download the GoMedii app for Android or iOS.