What is Thyroid Disease or Disorder?
It is a common problem that can cause symptoms such as nervousness, mental fogginess and menstrual changes due to under- or over- a function of the thyroid gland. People Also Like: 13 Amazing Food for Eczema
Under function is known as hypothyroidism and over function is known as hyperthyroidism.
The gland, which is located in front of the neck, produces thyroid hormones (THs) that help in maintaining the body metabolism.
According to a research when the gland fails to produce enough thyroid hormone it shows several changes in the human body such as weight gain, depression, sluggishness and increased sensitivity to cold.
Best Food For Thyroid Patients:
- Seaweed: It provides iodine to the body that helps in maintaining TH level.
- Yogurt: Taking plain, low-fat or Greek yogurt, which is also a good source of nutrients like protein and potassium.
- Brazil nuts: These nuts contain selenium that acts as an antioxidant and defends against oxidative stress; anti-cancer; and boosts immunity.
- Milk: It contains high-quality protein, an excellent source of vitamins and minerals.
- Chicken and beef: It contains zinc, which is a key nutrient for thyroid and helps in hypothyroidism.
- Fish: Fishes are also the good source of iodine.
- Shellfish: shellfish like shrimp and lobster are good sources of iodine.
- Vegetables like cauliflower, broccoli, bok choy, and kale are healthy for thyroid.
- Eggs: Eggs contain iodine and selenium, which helps in maintaining TH level.
- Berries: Berries are a good source of antioxidants for people with hypothyroidism.
According to a study published in the periodical “Nutrition Journal” which reveals the strawberries, goji berries, blackberries and cranberries are a good source of antioxidants helps in the thyroid.
Worst Food For Thyroid Patients:
- Gluten: People with celiac disease have more chances for thyroid problems due to their intolerance to the gluten present in wheat, rye, and barley.
- Processed foods: Avoid eating processed foods due to the presence of its high dietary sodium content that leads to high blood pressure and heart disease.
- Fast food: Fast food also contains the high amount of dietary sodium, which is bad for health. [ people Also Like: Food Poisoning]