The bright colored and flavored vegetables are a perfect source of healthy diet. However, not all vegetables are good for everyone. Diabetic patients always face this dilemma of choosing the most appropriate vegetable for consumption.
People Also Read: 11 Amazing Benefits of Coriander
There are several foods that are usually said the best food for diabetic patients that helps in lowering the risk of diabetes complications such as heart disease including fatty fish, leafy greens, cinnamon, and chia seeds.
Vegetables are primarily categorized into 2 types:
These are high in carbohydrates and raises blood sugar easily. Starchy vegetables are not suggested for a diabetic patient. Example – Potatoes, peas, sweet potatoes etc.
These are best for diabetic patients and contain carbohydrates. Following are the top five vegetables that fall into this category:
- Broccoli: This is a highly recommended vegetable as it contains sulforaphane that helps in that helps control blood sugar levels. It can reverse the damage that diabetes inflicts on heart blood vessels, by reducing the risk of cardiac attacks.
- Carrots: Carrots are a rich source of vitamin A, B, C, K, magnesium and dietary fiber. From vision to immunity, carrot offers several unique benefits. It helps in protecting eyes from retinopathy and prevents damage to eye vessels. It also consists the antioxidant beta-carotene which helps in preventing the risk of type 2 diabetes
- Garlic: People with diabetes are unable to produce enough insulin or use the insulin, their body produces in an efficient manner. Garlic is known to increase the amount of insulin released and regulates blood sugar levels. It reduces blood sugar level in people suffering from type 2 diabetes as well.
People Also Like: 6 Amazing Home Remedies to Treat Wheezing
- Bell Peppers: Adding bell pepper to your diet not only controls your blood glucose levels but also lowers the risk of many health complications associated with diabetes. Research studies have revealed that yellow & red bell pepper is better than the green one in controlling blood sugar level in diabetics. It also lowers the risk of diabetes.
- Spinach: Popeye’s favorite is a rich source of vitamins and minerals. It provides a rich dose of magnesium that helps in regulating blood sugar. It is also an excellent source of more than 20 different measurable nutrients, including dietary fiber, calcium, and protein. It is a smart choice of meal for the diabetic patient.
Other than the above there are a variety of vegetables that are rich in nutrients and beneficial for diabetics, Just to name a few:
- Red onions
- Bitter gourd
- Beetroot etc. and much more.
So, keep consuming nutritious veggies and stay healthy.
People Also Like: Healthy Habits – To Stay Active and HappyGoMedii is a complete healthcare marketplace, where you can Book Appointment With Doctors, Get Online Consultation, Order Medicines Online, and Get hassle-free doorstep delivery within 4 hours. You may simply download the GoMedii app for Android or iOS.