Kidneys perform different important functions in our body. These functions can be filtering your blood, maintaining fluid balance, and maintaining the levels of electrolytes in your body to ensure proper functioning of your cells.
(People Also Like To Read: Good Things to Eat After Food Poisoning)
If your kidney does not work properly then your body starts showing some signs. So, you should monitor your body to notice these symptoms. If you feel any of the symptoms then you should see a kidney doctor or urologist as soon as possible.
Sometimes kidney disease is referred to as the “silent killer,” like many people have some mild symptoms or no symptoms at all when they are diagnosed.
Common Symptoms To See The Kidney Doctor
These are some common symptoms, if you feel any of them then you should consult your urologist.
- Sleeping troubles.
- Increased blood pressure.
- Excessive fatigue.
- Nausea or vomiting.
- Feet or ankle swelling.
- Forgetfulness and trouble concentrating.
- Muscle twitching or cramps
- Decreased appetite and unintentional weight loss.
Risk Factors for Kidney Disease
People who are at greater risk of developing kidney disease include:
- Long-standing high blood pressure
- Congestive heart failure or coronary artery disease.
- A family history of kidney disease
- Other vascular diseases
- Longer use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
Prevention of Kidney Disease
A healthy lifestyle will help you to keeps your kidneys functioning well.
- Eat lots of fruit, vegetables, legumes, and grain-based food such as brown rice and beans.
- Consume lean meat like chicken and fish each week.
- Eat less amount of salty or fatty food.
- Drink plenty of water and minimize the consumption of sugary drinks.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Do at least 30 minutes of physical activity that can include walking, bike riding, swimming or gentle aerobics.
- Don’t smoke
- Limit your alcohol to not more than two small drinks per day if you are male, or one small drink per day if you are female.
- Have your blood pressure checked regularly.
(You Might Also Like To Read: Congestive Heart Failure: Type, Symptoms, Cause, Stages & Treatment)
Conditions Treated by Kidney Doctors
Kidney doctors treat different types of kidney disease including:
Acute Kidney Disease:
Acute kidney disease refers to the quick onset of kidney disease often related to conditions such as shock, kidney problems related to surgery or dehydration.
Chronic Renal Failure:
Chronic renal disease can be caused by a number of different reasons.
There are different types of kidney stones which may or may not have any symptoms.
Kidney Infections (pyelonephritis):
The urinary tract infection can lead to symptomatic bladder infections or kidneys infection(pyelonephritis).
Conditions that Can Lead Kidney failure:
There is a wide range of medical issue that can affect the kidneys in various ways. Some of the more common conditions which can lead to kidney failure include:
- High Blood Pressure
- Chronic kidney infections
- Kidney stones which cause obstruction
- Congenital (from birth) kidney problems such as horseshoe kidney
- Kidney disease related to lupus
- Polycystic kidney disease
- Kidney failure secondary to liver disease
along with managing kidney problems, kidney doctors also manage the symptoms commonly associated with kidney diseases, such as electrolyte disturbances and high blood pressure.
The best time to see a kidney doctor will vary based on your kidney function, the condition of your kidney, and other risk factors. But, whenever you feel any problem related to your kidney then you should consult your kidney doctor as soon as possible. If you have any kind of infection or urinary tract infection then you should treat it quickly else it can lead to kidney infection.
(People Also Like To Read: First Drug Approved For Most Common Inherited Kidney Disease)
Disclaimer: GoMedii is a recognized and a considerate healthcare platform which tends to connect every dot of the healthcare needs and facilities. GoMedii facilitates the accessibility of all health news, health tips, and information from the Health experts and Doctors to the eyes of readers. All of the information and facts mentioned in the GoMedii Blog are thoroughly examined and verified by the Doctors and Health Experts, elsewise source of information is confirmed for the same.