Urinary tract infections are usually caused by microbes like bacteria overcoming the body’s defenses in the urinary tract. They can affect the bladder, kidneys, and the tubes that run between them.
The urinary tract can be divided into two parts including the upper urinary tract and the lower urinary tract. The upper urinary tract consists of the ureters and the kidneys, and the lower urinary tract consists of the urethra and the bladder.
(People Also Like To Read:¬ Common Infections May Double The Risk of Stroke or Heart Disease Than Obesity: Study)
What are the Facts Related to Urinary Tract Infections?
Following are some facts related to about urinary tract infection including;
- Mostly, women have a lifetime risk of 50 percent of developing a urinary tract infection (UTI).
- Common symptoms of UTI include a frequent urge to urinate and feel pain and burning sensation when urinating.
- It can be diagnosed based on symptoms and testing urine sample.
- It can be cured in between 2-3 days of treatment.
What are the Symptoms of Urinary Tract Infections?
Usually, symptoms of UTI depends upon age, gender, the presence of a catheter (a medical device), as well as what part of the urinary tract has been infected.
Following are some of the common symptoms including;
- A strong and frequent urge to urinate.
- A bloody, cloudy, or strong-smelling urine.
- Pain and burning sensation during urination.
- Muscle aches
- Abdominal pains
What are the Causes of¬ Urinary Tract Infections?
The vast majority of urinary tract infections are caused by the bacterium Escherichia coli, normally found in the digestive system. Mycoplasma and chlamydia bacteria can infect the urethra but not the bladder.
Urinary Tract Infections are given different names depending on where they occur including;
- A urethra infection is called urethritis.
- A bladder infection is called cystitis.
- The ureters are very rarely the site of infection.
- A kidney infection is called pyelonephritis.
(You Might Also Like To Read:¬ What are the Types of Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis?)
What are the Treatments Available for Urinary Tract Infections?
As the infection is normally caused by bacteria, so it is most commonly treated with antimicrobials or antibiotics.
The type of medication and duration of treatment depends on the symptoms and medical history of the patient.
The full course of treatment should always be completed for the infection to make sure that the infection is fully clear as well as to reduce the risk of antibiotic resistance.
Its symptoms can disappear before the infection has completely treated.
What are the Preventions Option Available for Urinary Tract Infections?
There are several options that can be taken to reduce the risk of developing the infection including;
- Drink lots of water and urinate frequently.
- Avoid fluids like caffeine and alcohol that can irritate the bladder.
- Urinate shortly after intercourse.
- Keep the genital area clean.
- Wipe from front to back after urinating and bowel movement.
- Sanitary pads or menstrual cups are preferred to tampons.
- Avoid using any perfumed products in the genital area.
- Avoid using a spermicide or diaphragm for birth control.
- Wear cotton undergarment and loose-fitting clothing to keep the area around the urethra dry.
(People Also Like To Read:¬ Are You Afraid of Getting HIV from Cadbury Chocolates?)
GoMedii is All-in-One integrated Technology platform which helps to better manage chronic illnesses, prescription management & creates a continuum of care with a patient-centric approach under the supervision of Doctor & healthcare experts. The Technology platform enables various stakeholders (Patients, Doctor, Pharmacy, Diagnostics, Healthcare experts) to work as a unit for a better patient outcome with 1 stop solution of medicines, lab services, nutrition advice & products, Lifestyle coaching, and clinical counseling. GoMedii platform also enables the Doctor to overview a larger section of his patients.
Disclaimer: GoMedii is a recognized and a considerate healthcare platform which tends to connect every dot of the healthcare needs and facilities. GoMedii facilitates the accessibility of all health news, health tips, and information from the Health experts and Doctors to the eyes of readers. All of the information and facts mentioned in the GoMedii Blog are thoroughly examined and verified by the Doctors and Health Experts, elsewise source of information is confirmed for the same.
About GoMedii: GoMedii is a complete healthcare marketplace, where you can Book Appointment With Doctors, Get Online Consultation, Order Medicines Online, and Get hassle-free doorstep delivery within 4 hours. You may simply download the GoMedii app for Android or iOS.