As a human body enters the old age many common diseases start to attack the body which makes it troublesome and difficult to lead a healthy lifestyle. Today we will discuss common diseases in old age. But one can lead a desired happy and disease-free life by staying cautious and aware of the disease that may attack you and be practicing all the precautions.
(People Also Like To Read:Â Amyloid: Definition, Functions, and Diseases)
What Happens in the Old Age?
People of old age or we can say elderly people or senior citizens are exposed to many diseases and illness conditions due to the sensitivity and frailness their body falls into due to the age factor.
As we know that the strength of the body organs and parts increases to a certain age bar, but later 60 years of age the body encounters a sudden fall in strength which weakens the body parts and immunity system which eventually invites many diseases.
Due to lack of immunity and frailness old age people faces many changes in the body which are mentioned below:
1. Bones, Joints, and Muscles: Bones and muscles tend to lose the strength and flexibility, and becomes weak and fragile which makes many troubles for elderly people. Their body shape becomes curved and misshaped as well. Also, it becomes difficult for old people to perform daily chores and tasks due to the frailness in bones, joints, and muscles.
2. Senses: Eyes loses the vision and the lens loses its accuracy whereas hearing clearly becomes the task of difficulty. Also, old age people lose the sensitivity of taste buds due to which they are unable to enjoy all the tastes and so does happens with smell organ as well. The skin of senior people loosens and becomes wrinkled.
3. Hormones: The metabolism and cholesterol levels are more likely to be disturbed by aging. Due to this hormonal dis-balance old people get exposed to many chronic diseases.
5. Sleep and Motor Movements: Old age people lose their balancing motor skills and the sleep pattern gets disturbed which causes frequent awakening during the night and small duration of sleep as well.
(You Might Also Like To Read:Â Top 9 Questions You Can Ask Your Doctor Before Planning a Pregnancy)
What are the Common Diseases in Old Age?
As we discussed above that as the human body ages it tends to lose many qualities like immunity, memory, and strength, also due to deterioration of organs, and bones and muscles make it becomes susceptible to many diseases.
The diseases elderly are susceptible to are curable and incurable as well which depends on the nature of them, read the list underlying to learn more about the diseases and their symptoms.
Following are some common disease in old age;
Arthritis is a chronic disease which is caused due to inflammation of the body joints of hand or knee due to an attack of an autoimmune system of the body.
The study shows that 67% of seniors of above age 65 years are likely to acquire this disease. This disease is divided into two categories that are osteoarthritis arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Swelling of the joints
- Difficulty moving
2. Alzheimer’s Disease:
It is believed that every one person out of nine people of age above 65 years is susceptible to this chronic disease. Elderly suffering from this disease tends to lose the memory and forgets things very rapidly and uncertainty.
- Memory loss
- Cognitive physical and mental impairment
In this condition body or blood fails to use the sugar and starch present in the body due to lack of insulin. This disease affects the old age people easily due to lack of insulin levels in the body. The early diabetes is diagnosed the better it is to diagnose it.
- Frequent thirst
- Improper blood pressure
4. Heart Attack:
This condition appears when the parts of heart lack in supply of blood which happens due to high blood pressure or high cholesterol levels in the bod. A heart attack is the leading chronic disease among the senior people, hence immediate diagnosis is recommended.
- Pain in the chest
- Pain spreading to shoulders, neck or arms
- Fainting and nausea
Under such condition, mutated body cells multiply out of control which destroys the healthy organs and tissue. It is a fatal disease which causes certain death if not diagnosed and treated immediately.
- Changes in bowel or bladder functioning
- Lump in the affected area
- Unusual bleeding or discharge
6. Mental Diseases:
Old age people are more likely to fall for conditions of depression, anxiety or stress due to their unsocial behavior and lack of interactions with people. Due to less physical and mental activities, elderly people creates the condition of overthinking and hypertension which gives birth to depression, anxiety or stress.
- Behavior change
7. Respiratory Diseases:
Due to poor lung capacity and blood flow, seniors get a various respiratory condition like chronic bronchitis or emphysema, asthma, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Respiratory diseases are the third most common reason for the death of elderly people.
- Difficulty in breathing
- A severe cough
How You Can Prevent the Common Diseases in Old Age?
All of the aforementioned are the most common and chronic disease from which old age people are most susceptible to, so following some important prevention measure for common disease in old age which is beneficial for health.
1. Perform exercises like brisk walking, cycling, flexibility exercises, resistance exercises and yoga to keep yourself fit and healthy, as well as immune from the diseases.
2. Diet plays an important role in building our body what it is so to eat healthy green vegetables and protein-rich food are great option to consume. Also, fats, vitamins, minerals, and carbohydrates are essential for elderly people.
3. Regular check-ups, early assessments, and diagnosis with the doctor is the key to stay a mile away from the severity of the disease. It is said that the early it is treated the easy it is to cure.
Old age people are the treasure in our life, they give us the most precious lessons and take care of us so it is our duty to return the same. Never ignore the symptom or trouble of common disease of old age they might be feeling and following above-mentioned prevention measures is a great way of keeping them safe from all diseases.
(People Also Like To Read:Â What is Silent Thyroiditis? Know More About its Treatment Options)
Disclaimer: GoMedii is a recognized and a considerate healthcare platform which tends to connect every dot of the healthcare needs and facilities. GoMedii facilitates the accessibility of all health news, health tips, and information from the Health experts and Doctors to the eyes of readers. All of the information and facts mentioned in the GoMedii Blog are thoroughly examined and verified by the Doctors and Health Experts, elsewise source of information is confirmed for the same.