As we all know that all type of vitamins is essential to staying healthy, Vitamin D is one of them. It helps to absorb calcium into the body, which helps to build bone and make them healthy and strong. Sun exposure is the most common source of vitamin D. To avoid vitamin D deficiency we should spend at least 10 to 15 minute every day in the natural sunshine. In this article, we are going to discuss its deficiency and vitamin D deficiency treatment.
(People Also Like To Read:This Is What Your Body’s Trying To Tell You About Vitamin B12 Deficiency)
What is vitamin D?
First of all, we should know what Vitamin D is? Well, It is a fat-soluble vitamin which produced in the exposure sunlight. The presence of vitamin D is lesser in foods items, only some fortified products, like milk contains it.
It is one of the best element to support calcium metabolism. It is used to absorb calcium inside the body from food and supplements and support to maintain the health of bones. Apart from supporting calcium, vitamin D do lots of work to make the body healthy.
Here is the list some other uses of Vitamin D in body:
- It supports muscle health
- Helps to build the immune system strong
- Support to aids cell growth
- Helps to decrease inflammation, It can lead to diseases like rheumatoid arthritis and cancer
- It helps to support cardiovascular health as well as regulate blood pressure.
What are the Causes of Vitamin D Deficiency?
If the level of vitamin D in a person’s body is less than 20 nanograms/milliliter (ng/mL), then he/she is at the risk for vitamin D deficiency.
The deficiency of Vitamin D occurs if you either do not consume enough vitamin D or the body can’t absorb and metabolize the consumed vitamin D.
Here are some of the factor which increases the risk of Vitamin D deficiency:
- Living at a high latitude: At the high latitude, there is less access to the sun’s ultraviolet-B (UVB) rays.
- Staying Indoors too much: Spending less time outside reduce the sun time which can lead to Vitamin D deficiency.
- High Polluted Area: If you are living in a highly polluted area, the sun rays absorbed by the pollution it reduce the scope to make vitamin D.
- Using too much of sunscreen: Using too much sunscreen to stop UV rays may reduce vitamin D absorption.
- Darker skin: Darker skin needs a lot of sunlight exposure to absorb vitamin D.
- Diet: Include vitamin D rich food in your diet, like fortified foods with the vitamin, reduces the risk of vitamin D deficiency.
- Being overweight: According to research obesity correlates with vitamin D deficiency because excess body fat affects the absorption of vitamin D.
- Age: By the growing age people reduce the ability to absorb vitamin D.
- Infants Dependent on Breastfeeding: Human breastfeed milk contain less amount of vitamin D. so, breastfeed infants need a vitamin D supplement, especially if they stay indoors.
What are the Symptoms of Vitamin D Deficiency?
Well, there is a possibility that a person feels no symptoms of vitamin D deficiency, or they can feel the symptoms year later. These symptoms may be vague and can be changed over time. The most common symptoms of Vitamin D deficiency are:
- Mood changes and Exhaustion
- Osteoporosis, or frequent bone fractures
- weakness in the muscle
- Chronic pain
- High blood pressure
- Decreased tolerance
- Unexplained infertility
(You Might Also Like To Read:Know the Best Iron Deficiency Treatment)
What are the Sources of Vitamin D?
The main source of vitamin D is sun exposure, supplements or your diet.
The best way to get enough vitamin D every day is to eat a variety of healthy foods from all food groups. The vitamin content of various foods is shown in the table.
Vitamin D Content of Various Foods
- Cod liver oil
- Orange juice
What is the Treatment for Vitamin D Deficiency?
There are three ways to remove vitamin D deficiency:
- Aiding vitamin D supplement
- Vitamin D enriched food
- Exposure to sunlight
How can You Prevent Vitamin D Deficiency?
Eating vitamin D enriched food and spending 10-15 minutes in sunlight every day are the best ways to prevent Vitamin D deficiency.
Some other lifestyle strategies that may support healthy vitamin D levels include:
- Maintain a healthy body weight
- Monitoring and treating medical conditions
- Using vitamin D supplements
In the end, we should understand the importance of vitamin D. It is essential to absorb calcium and metabolism inside the body. If you are feeling the symptoms of vitamin D deficiency then don’t ignore it and consult a specialist as soon as possible to avoid symptoms.
(People Also Like To Read:Hair Loss: Causes, Prevention, and Treatments)
GoMedii is All-in-One integrated Technology platform which helps to better manage chronic illnesses, prescription management & creates a continuum of care with a patient-centric approach under the supervision of Doctor & healthcare experts. The Technology platform enables various stakeholders (Patients, Doctor, Pharmacy, Diagnostics, Healthcare experts) to work as a unit for a better patient outcome with 1 stop solution of medicines, lab services, nutrition advice & products, Lifestyle coaching, and clinical counseling. GoMedii platform also enables the Doctor to overview a larger section of his patients.
Disclaimer: GoMedii is a recognized and a considerate healthcare platform which tends to connect every dot of the healthcare needs and facilities. GoMedii facilitates the accessibility of all health news, health tips, and information from the Health experts and Doctors to the eyes of readers. All of the information and facts mentioned in the GoMedii Blog are thoroughly examined and verified by the Doctors and Health Experts, elsewise source of information is confirmed for the same.
About GoMedii: GoMedii is a complete healthcare marketplace, where you can Book Appointment With Doctors, Get Online Consultation, Order Medicines Online, and Get hassle-free doorstep delivery within 4 hours. You may simply download the GoMedii app for Android or iOS.