As we all know sciatica is the largest nerve in the body. Nowadays many people are suffering from sciatica, it is quite common not only for old people but adults as well. This disease is felt from the lower back to behind the thigh and it radiates below the knee or back pain. Its treatment usually consists of non- surgical treatment. In this blog, we are going to share some detailed information about sciatica and sciatica exercises which helps you to reduce its symptoms.
(People Also Like To Read: Ankylosing Spondylitis Causes & Treatment)
Sciatica is the pain which radiates along the path of the sciatic nerve, which branches from the lower back through the hips and buttocks and down each leg. It most commonly begins when a herniated disk, bone spur on the spine or narrowing of the spine (spinal stenosis) compresses part of the nerve.
Symptoms of Sciatica
There are a few symptoms of sciatica such as:
- Lower back pain
- Pain in the leg which gets worse when sitting.
- Hip pain
- Burning or tingling down the leg
- Numbness and weakness
- Frequent pain on one side of the rear.
- A shooting pain that makes it difficult to stand up.
1. Reclining Pigeon Pose
- While on the back, bring the right leg up to a right angle.
- Clasp both hands behind the thigh, locking the fingers.
- Lift the left leg and place the right ankle on top of the left knee. Hold the position for a moment.
- It helps to stretch the tiny piriformis muscle, which sometimes becomes inflamed and presses against the sciatic nerve, causing pain. Do the same exercise with the other leg.
2. Sitting Pigeon Pose
- Sit on the floor with the legs stretched out straight in front of you.
- Bend the right leg, putting the right ankle on top of the left knee.
- Lean forward and allow your upper body to reach toward your thigh. Hold for 15 to 30 seconds.
- Stretches the glutes and lowers back. Repeat on the other side.
(You Might Also Like To Read: 5 Different Types of Insomnia – A Sleep Disorder)
3. Knee to the Opposite Shoulder
- Lie on your back with your legs extended and your feet flexed upward.
- Bend your right leg and clasp your hands around the knee.
- Gently pull the right leg across the body toward the left shoulder. Hold it there for 30 seconds.
- Pull the knee only as far as it will comfortably go. You should feel a relieving stretch in your muscle, not pain.
- Push the knee so the leg returns to its starting position.
4. Sitting Spinal Stretch
- Sit on the ground with the legs extended straight out with your feet flexed upward.
- Bend your right knee and place your foot flat on the floor on the outside of your opposite knee.
- Place the left elbow on the outside of the right knee to help you gently turn your body toward the right. Hold for about 30 seconds and repeat three times, then switch sides.
5. Standing Hamstring Stretch
- Place the right foot on an elevated surface at or below your hip level.
- Flex the foot so the toes and leg are straight. If the knee tends to hyperextend, keep a slight bend in it.
- Bend the body forward slightly toward your foot. The further you go, the deeper the stretch.
- Free the hip of the raised leg downward as opposed to lifting it up. If you need help easing your hip down, loop a yoga strap or long exercise band over your right thigh and under your left foot. Hold it about 30 seconds, and then redo on the other side.
6. Pelvic Tilt
- Lie on your back
- Exhale and tighten the abdominal muscles while pushing your belly button toward the floor and flatten your lower back.
- Hold the position for 5 seconds. Redo the pelvic tilt 10 times holding the position for 5 seconds each time.
In the above blog, we have shared sciatica and sciatica exercises which helps you to reduce symptoms. Once you start feeling any of the above-mentioned pain consult a doctor as earlier as you can without wasting time.
About: Dr. Abhishek Kumar is a consultant Orthopedics and Joint Replacement Surgeon with a remarkable experience of 11 years in handling patients with bone and joint problems.
(People Also Like To Read: Sebaceous Cyst Infection: Diagnosis & Treatment)
GoMedii is All-in-One integrated Technology platform which helps to better manage chronic illnesses, prescription management & creates a continuum of care with a patient-centric approach under the supervision of Doctor & healthcare experts. The Technology platform enables various stakeholders (Patients, Doctor, Pharmacy, Diagnostics, Healthcare experts) to work as a unit for a better patient outcome with 1 stop solution of medicines, lab services, nutrition advice & products, Lifestyle coaching, and clinical counseling. GoMedii platform also enables the Doctor to overview a larger section of his patients.
Disclaimer: GoMedii is a recognized and a considerate healthcare platform which tends to connect every dot of the healthcare needs and facilities. GoMedii facilitates the accessibility of all health news, health tips, and information from the Health experts and Doctors to the eyes of readers. All of the information and facts mentioned in the GoMedii Blog are thoroughly examined and verified by the Doctors and Health Experts, elsewise source of information is confirmed for the same.
About GoMedii: GoMedii is a complete healthcare marketplace, where you can Book Appointment With Doctors, Get Online Consultation, Order Medicines Online, and Get hassle-free doorstep delivery within 4 hours. You may simply download the GoMedii app for Android or iOS.