Magnesium deficiency, Which is also known as hypomagnesemia, is a generally overlooked health issue. Well in an initial period this deficiency may be underdiagnosed because the obvious signs commonly don’t appear until the deficiency levels become severely low. The causes of magnesium deficiency level can vary. In, this article we are going to discuss magnesium deficiency along with its causes and symptoms.
(People Also Like To Read: Common Diabetes Risk Factors and Their Complication)
Why do we need Magnesium?
We need magnesium to make the nerve and muscle function. It is an important electrolyte and mineral which plays an important role in many body processes, including:
- Bone and teeth structure
- Muscle function
- Nerve function
- DNA replication
- Protein synthesis and RNA
What does Magnesium Deficiency Mean?
Actually, our body can retain a big amount of magnesium, so there is less possibility for a person to have deficiency symptoms.
Some factors can increase the risk of developing magnesium deficiency symptoms. These include:
- Continually consuming a low-magnesium diet
- Gastrointestinal disorders like Crohn’s disease
- Losing large amounts of magnesium through sweat and urine
- Pregnant and lactating
- Being hospitalized
- Parathyroid disorders
Magnesium deficiency for the long term may affect your health badly:
- Bone density
- Nerve and muscle function
- Digestive system
What are the Symptoms of Magnesium Deficiency?
Some common signs of magnesium deficiency include:
- Loss of appetite
If the deficiency left untreated people may experience the following signs:
- Hypocalcemia (lower calcium levels in the blood)
- Hypokalemia (lower potassium levels)
- Numbness and tingling
- Cramps and muscle contractions
- Personality changes
- Abnormal heart rhythms
- Coronary spasms
(You Might Also Like To Read:Not Exercising Regularly is More Harmful to Your Health Than Smoking)
Magnesium deficiency for a long time of period can affect the health badly and increase the risk of chronic diseases, including:
- High blood pressure
- Type 2 diabetes
What are The Causes of a Magnesium Deficiency?
Here is the list of some common causes of magnesium deficiency:
- Alcoholism. Consumption of excess alcohol can lead to a disproportion of electrolytes or nutrients, and it can be a cause of the excess release of magnesium than usual.
- Breastfeeding and pregnancy. It increases the need for magnesium.
- Diarrhea. Chronic diarrhea can lead to a disproportion of electrolytes. which can lead to magnesium deficiency.
- Age. As you get older, it becomes for you to absorb magnesium.
- Diabetes. Excess sugar in the kidneys can release more magnesium. People who are having type 2 diabetes may develop magnesium deficiencies.
- Organ failure. Especially the kidney failure, may cause the body to excrete too much magnesium.
Foods That contain Magnesium:
There are some foods which contain a large amount of magnesium like green vegetables, fruit, whole grains, cereals, and legumes.
Some food items are high in magnesium, include:
- Nuts, especially almonds, cashews, peanuts
- Black beans
- Peanut butter
- Whole wheat bread
- Kidney beans
- Banana and apples
- Chicken breast
- Broccoli and carrot
Tips for Improving Magnesium Absorption:
If you are dealing with magnesium deficiency and want to increase magnesium levels by improving absorption then you have to try:
- Avoiding or reducing the intake of calcium-rich foods before and after two hours eating magnesium-rich foods
- By avoiding zinc supplements
- Treating vitamin D deficiency
- Eating raw vegetables instead of cooking them
- Quitting smoking
In this blog, we have discussed magnesium deficiency, our body contains magnesium naturally. But, If you are dealing with magnesium deficiency it means your body is consuming magnesium in an excessive way due to some health issue. If you have any health related problem then consult your doctor as soon as possible.
(People Also Like To Read:Sleep Apnea: Know How BiPAP Can make Your Life Easy)
Disclaimer: GoMedii is a recognized and a considerate healthcare platform which tends to connect every dot of the healthcare needs and facilities. GoMedii facilitates the accessibility of all health news, health tips, and information from the Health experts and Doctors to the eyes of readers. All of the information and facts mentioned in the GoMedii Blog are thoroughly examined and verified by the Doctors and Health Experts, elsewise source of information is confirmed for the same.
About GoMedii: GoMedii is a complete healthcare marketplace, where you can Book Appointment With Doctors, Get Online Consultation, Order Medicines Online, and Get hassle-free doorstep delivery within 4 hours. You may simply download the GoMedii app for Android or iOS.