Lung cancer is the stage of uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells that start off in the lungs. Usually, this cancer starts in the cells that line the air passages. These abnormal cell growth that starts growing inside the lungs divide rapidly to form tumors.
(People Also Like To Read: Breast Cancer: Symptoms, Stages, Risk Factors & Treatment)
As these tumors become larger and numerous, they start affecting the lung’s ability to provide the bloodstream with oxygen. Those tumors that remain in one place of the body and do not appear to spread are called “benign tumors.”
Malignant tumors are the most dangerous ones that spread to other parts of the body through the bloodstream or through the lymphatic system.
Facts Related to Lung Cancer
Some of the facts related to this cancer are;
- Lung cancer the main cause of cancer deaths in both men and women worldwide.
- Smoking cigarette is the major risk factor for the development of lung cancer.
- There are two types of lung cancer including the small cell lung cancers (SCLC) and the non-small cell lung cancers (NSCLC) both the types grow and spread differently.
- The stage of lung cancer defines the extension regarding the spreading in the body.
- Treatment of lung cancer can involve a combination of surgery, targeted therapy, immunotherapy, chemotherapy, radiation therapy, and experimental methods.
What are the Symptoms of Lung Cancer?
Following are some of the symptoms related to cancer including;
- Coughing up phlegm or blood
- Lingering or worsening cough
- Chest pain during breathing, laugh, or a cough
- Shortness of breath
- Weakness and fatigue
- Loss of appetite
What are the Causes of Lung Cancer?
Smoking cigarette is the main cause of this cancer. Some of the studies define the relationship between smoking cigarette and lung cancer.
- The smoke of a cigarette contains more than 4,000 chemicals that identified as causing cancer.
- If we talk about in general, a person who smokes more than one pack of cigarettes per day has the greater risk of developing this cancer than someone who has never smoked.
- Once a person quits smoking, the risk of this cancer gradually decreases.
- Pipe smoking and cigar increase the risk of lung cancer but not more than smoking cigarettes.
(You Might Also Like To Read: Peritoneal Cancer: Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, and Treatment)
What are the Stages of Lung Cancer?
This cancer has majorly 4 stages including;
Stage 1: Cancer is found in the lung, but not spread outside the lung.
Stage 2: Cancer is found in the lung as well as nearby lymph nodes.
Stage 3: Cancer is found in the lung and lymph nodes in the middle of the chest.
Stage 3(i): Cancer is found in lymph nodes on the same side of the chest.
Stage 3(ii): Cancer has spread to lymph nodes as well as on the opposite side of the chest.
Stage 4: Cancer has spread to both the lungs, around the lungs, and to distant organs.
How Lung Cancer is Diagnosed?
There are different types of diagnosis process of this cancer including;
- Imaging tests: This can be done through X-ray, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), positron emission tomography (PET), and computed tomography (CT) scan for seeing the abnormal mass in lungs.
- Sputum cytology: This is the process of microscopic examination to determine the presence of cancer cells in the patient’s cough.
- The process of biopsy can determine if tumor cells are cancerous. A tissue sample can be obtained by bronchoscopy and needle.
What are the Treatments for Lung Cancer?
Following are some of the treatment of this cancer depending upon their type. The treatment for non-small cell lung cancer varies from person to person while depending upon specific details of the health.
- Surgery is done to remove a portion of the affected lung.
- Chemotherapy may also be recommended by the doctor if you’re at high risk of recurrence.
- Choices for treating the NSCLC also include surgery, radiation therapy, and chemotherapy.
Well, today we have several treatment options for lung cancer, but the best option is to stop smoking. Smoking not only causes lung cancer but also causes other types of diseases too. If you have already diagnosed with this cancer then taking some precautions are best for you like maintaining your diet and doing little exercise daily.
(People Also Like To Read: How Pesticide Increase Autism Risk in Your Child)
GoMedii is All-in-One integrated Technology platform which helps to better manage chronic illnesses, prescription management & creates a continuum of care with a patient-centric approach under the supervision of Doctor & healthcare experts. The Technology platform enables various stakeholders (Patients, Doctor, Pharmacy, Diagnostics, Healthcare experts) to work as a unit for a better patient outcome with 1 stop solution of medicines, lab services, nutrition advice & products, Lifestyle coaching, and clinical counseling. GoMedii platform also enables the Doctor to overview a larger section of his patients.
Disclaimer: GoMedii is a recognized and a considerate healthcare platform which tends to connect every dot of the healthcare needs and facilities. GoMedii facilitates the accessibility of all health news, health tips, and information from the Health experts and Doctors to the eyes of readers. All of the information and facts mentioned in the GoMedii Blog are thoroughly examined and verified by the Doctors and Health Experts, elsewise source of information is confirmed for the same.
About GoMedii: GoMedii is a complete healthcare marketplace, where you can Book Appointment With Doctors, Get Online Consultation, Order Medicines Online, and Get hassle-free doorstep delivery within 4 hours. You may simply download the GoMedii app for Android or iOS.