Is hypotension actually very serious? Absolutely, it is very serious sometimes and can be considered as a life-threatening issue. Nowadays, most people are suffering from high blood pressure and low blood pressure. So, they get more tensed about this. Today, we are going to discuss hypotension (Low Blood Pressure) and how to control it.
(People Also Like To Read: Top 10 Healthy Foods to Eat During Navratri 2019)
What is Hypotension?
Hypotension is also known as low blood pressure. It happens when your pulse rate is less than 90/60. A blood pressure reading starts as two numbers. It is a measure of systolic pressure, or the pressure in the arteries when the heart beats and fills them with blood.
What are the Symptoms of Hypotension?
Some symptoms of hypotension are:
1. Dizziness or lightheadedness
3. Blurred vision
6. Lack of concentration
7. Confusion, especially in older people
8. Cold, clammy, pale skin
9. Rapid, shallow breathing
10. Weak and rapid pulse
What are the Causes of Hypotension(Low Blood Pressure)?
There are a few causes of low blood Pressure:
3. Some over-the-counter medications
5. Heart failure
6. Heart arrhythmias (abnormal heart rhythms)
7. Widening, or dilation, of the blood vessels
8. Heat exhaustion or heat stroke
(You Might Also Like To Read: Increase Daily Water Intake – Summer is Coming)
What are the Risk Factors of Hypotension (Low Blood Pressure)?
Low blood pressure can happen in anyone, though certain types of low blood pressure are more common depending on your age or other factors.
There are some risk factors of low blood pressure:
Drop in blood pressure while standing or after eating appear primarily in adults older than 65. Usually mediated hypotension primarily affects children and younger adults.
People who take certain medications, for example, high blood pressure medications like- alpha blockers, have a greater risk of low blood pressure.
3. Certain Diseases
Parkinson’s disease, diabetes, and some heart conditions put you at a greater risk of developing low blood pressure.
What are the Treatments of Hypotension?
1. Eat a diet higher in salt
2. Drink lots of nonalcoholic fluids
3. Limit alcoholic beverages
4. Drink more fluids during hot weather and while sick with a viral illness, like- cold or the flu.
5. Do regular exercise to promote blood flow
6. Be careful when rising from lying position or sitting. It helps to improve circulation. You can pump your feet and ankles a few times before standing up.
8. Elevate the head of your bed at night by placing bricks or blocks under the head of the bed.
9. Avoid heavy lifting
10. Avoid straining while on the toilet
11. Avoid standing still in place for long periods of time
12. Avoid prolonged exposure to hot water, such as hot showers and spas. If you get dizzy, sit down. It can be helpful to keep a chair or stool in the shower in case you need to sit; to help prevent injury, use a nonslip chair or stool designed for use in showers and bathtubs.
13. If needed, use elastic support (compression) stockings that cover the calf and thigh. These may help to limit blood flow to the legs, thus keeping more blood in the upper body.
As per the discussion we have talked about hypotension (Low Blood Pressure) and its causes, symptoms, risk factors and treatment. The best way to protect yourself from this is to take proper and a healthy diet, take proper medications. If you feel any of the above symptoms so consult a doctor as soon as possible.
(People Also Like To Read: Does The Use of Steroids Affect Sperm and Fertility?)
Disclaimer: GoMedii is a recognized and a considerate healthcare platform which tends to connect every dot of the healthcare needs and facilities. GoMedii facilitates the accessibility of all health news, health tips, and information from the Health experts and Doctors to the eyes of readers. All of the information and facts mentioned in the GoMedii Blog are thoroughly examined and verified by the Doctors and Health Experts, elsewise source of information is confirmed for the same.
About GoMedii: GoMedii is a complete healthcare marketplace, where you can Book Appointment With Doctors, Get Online Consultation, Order Medicines Online, and Get hassle-free doorstep delivery within 4 hours. You may simply download the GoMedii app for Android or iOS.