Hendra virus (HeV) is a kind of virus that mostly infects fruit bats or flying foxes which can be transferred on to horses. The infection has hardly been passed onto people who have been in close contact with infected animals mainly horse.
(People Also Like To Read: Common Infections May Double The Risk of Stroke or Heart Disease Than Obesity: Study)
What is Hendra Virus?
The natural host for the Hendra virus is flying fox. On rare seasons, Hendra virus can pass from flying foxes to horses, causing severe diseases, usually resulting in death.
Hendra virus is a type of zoonotic disease (a disease which can be transmitted from horses to humans during close contact with an infected horse).
The virus is a notifiable disease in Australia. However, the death rate related to infection is very high – about 50% in humans and more than 70% in horses.
Some Facts Related to Hendra Virus:
- The HeV infects large fruit bats or flying foxes.
- Hardly the virus can spread from flying foxes to horses and horses to humans. A small number of people work very close or have close contact with infected horses can easily develop Hendra virus infection.
- There is no proof of that the virus can occur naturally in any other species.
- The HeV was discovered following an outbreak in the suburb of Hendra, Brisbane in the year 1994.
How Can You Find Out the Signs and Symptoms of Hendra Virus?
There are several signs and symptoms in humans of the HeV including;
- A headache
- A cough
- A sore throat
Complications like meningitis (inflammation of the lining of the spinal cord and the brain) and pneumonia (inflammation or lung infection), or encephalitis (inflammation of the brain) may develop due to the virus.
In meningitis and encephalitis, symptoms may involve a headache, drowsiness or fever leading to coma and death.
(You Might Also Like To Read: What are the Types of Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis?)
What are the Treatments of Hendra Virus?
There is no specific treatment for HeV infection.
Treatment options are mainly to relieve symptoms and reduce complications from the disease.
People who are suspected to have HeV infection or are in close contact with animals like horses that might be caught the infection and should be reviewed by an infectious diseases specialist.
What are the Preventions from Hendra Virus?
- The vaccine available for the virus infection for humans but the most important way to prevent infection is good hygiene practices while handling horses.
- Eliminate people with Hendra virus infection from childcare, school, preschool, and work until well.
- Avoid kissing a horse on the muzzle.
- Avoid placing water or animal feed under or near a flowering or fruiting tree, to avoid the attraction of flying foxes.
- Always wash hands before and after handling horses.
- Never forget to do waterproof dressing on wounds or cuts before touching horses. If body fluids secrets from the horse come into contact with the broken skin or mucous membranes, thoroughly wash the area with soap and water.
- Do not contact or work near a sick horse. If you can not avoid a contact with the sick horse then always wear full protective personal clothing like gloves, masks, goggles, long sleeves and long trousers.
- Never forget to take shower and changing infected clothes after handling a sick horse.
- Always contact your veterinarian if you suspect your that your horse might be infected with the virus.
- Always avoid blood donation if you suspect or exposed to the virus until you are completely fine.
Hendra virus infection or HeV infection is a rare and emerging zoonosis (zoonotic disease) that causes severe and fatal disease in both infected horses and humans.
The Hendra virus infection has been developed for horses which is available since November 2012 (according to World Health Organization). The best way to avoid the infection is taking precautions.
(People Also Like To Read: All You Need to Know About Ancylostoma Duodenale Infection)
GoMedii is All-in-One integrated Technology platform which helps to better manage chronic illnesses, prescription management & creates a continuum of care with a patient-centric approach under the supervision of Doctor & healthcare experts. The Technology platform enables various stakeholders (Patients, Doctor, Pharmacy, Diagnostics, Healthcare experts) to work as a unit for a better patient outcome with 1 stop solution of medicines, lab services, nutrition advice & products, Lifestyle coaching, and clinical counseling. GoMedii platform also enables the Doctor to overview a larger section of his patients.
Disclaimer: GoMedii is a recognized and a considerate healthcare platform which tends to connect every dot of the healthcare needs and facilities. GoMedii facilitates the accessibility of all health news, health tips, and information from the Health experts and Doctors to the eyes of readers. All of the information and facts mentioned in the GoMedii Blog are thoroughly examined and verified by the Doctors and Health Experts, elsewise source of information is confirmed for the same.
About GoMedii: GoMedii is a complete healthcare marketplace, where you can Book Appointment With Doctors, Get Online Consultation, Order Medicines Online, and Get hassle-free doorstep delivery within 4 hours. You may simply download the GoMedii app for Android or iOS.